In this context, means that all components of Kogi State will have equal or near equal opportunities and near even resources, to grow and develop at their own pace. Development is consequently a continuum in the life of Kogi, where we the citizens and its residents, actualize our dreams, when Kogi continually conquers its environment, provides most of all the economic, social, technological and political needs of its people, on its own terms. Development will also entail a condition where Kogi State constantly protect its own people, and relates with the world, on its own terms.
A steady flow of revenue that would enable Kogi State to lay the foundation for stability and relative self -sufficiency would help the state’s quest for development.
Though the following is not exhaustive, development would involve the availability of the following:
a) Social infrastructure such as in education and health with emphasis on continuing education and constantly improving our health care
b) Physical infrastructure to enable private sector investment: that is energy, transportation, security of life and property
c) Access to Property, Capital, and Opportunity for Individual and Communal Development
d) Provision of social amenities for the young, the disadvantaged, the physically challenged, the old and the dead
e) Security of Lives and Property .
- Providing sustainable finance and funding for governance, public and social services and economic development.
- Promoting civic responsibility, patriotism by citizens and social responsibility by corporate citizens.
- Stimulating priority social and economic activities and sectors while discouraging less preferred ones.
- Bringing about the redistribution of wealth and bridging sharp disparities in living standards.
- Giving taxpayers the moral and legal right to demand for (thereby engendering) a culture of accountability.
- Serving as a gauge for measuring the level, growth and health of economic units and economic activities.
- Individuals and corporate organizations are conferred with definite benefits, rights and privileges in the system based on their tax compliance status.
- Tax compliance enables law abiding citizens to avoid the consequences, penalties and sanctions of non-compliance.
(5) Social responsibility:
Thus, the next time you think of evading tax or wonder why the government can’t create a tax-free budget, think of all these benefits and what the lack of these would mean to the society. Probably it doesn’t take much to realize taxes are a very vital aspect for the smooth running of the society.